Saturday, August 9, 2014

Making Moon Sand

fun sensory activity for toddlers and preschoolers
Moon sand! Also known as cloud dough, warm snow, moon dust and probably has some other names as well.

Moon sand is easy to make, stores well and is a lot of fun. It's a lot like wet sand. You can mold it, squeeze it or smooth into shapes and crumble it back into sand. It's great for a sensory activity for toddlers. You could use it with cookie cutters or molds to go along with certain lessons. You can hide things in it for kids to find, like fish or dinosaurs or whatever you like. Plus it's super simple to make and only requires 2 cheap ingredients - flour & baby oil. You'll also need a bowl, a cup measure, something to stir with & something to store the finished product in.


 
You can see I have Family Dollar flour and baby oil. Nothing but the best! A lot of recipes online use eight cups of flour. For my single child, I use four. 

 
I started off with 1/2 cup of baby oil and then added more until I got the texture I was going for. I ended up using not quite 3/4 cup.
 
 
Stir that in really well. I start off with a whisk and end up using my hands to make sure it's completely mixed. I also added a couple scoops of cosmetic iridescent glitter because I happened to have it on hand and because everything's better with a little sparkle.

 
Then put it in a container and you're done!


 
You can add little toys, cookie cutters, scoops, molds...whatever you like!

My daughter said it made her hands "yucky" so I gave her a scoop. She'll scoop it up into a pile and then move the pile to a new place scoop-by-scoop and do it all over again. She does sometimes scoop it out of the container, but it sweeps right up. She also likes making imprints of things in the sand. We haven't tried molds yet, but I think she'll be fascinated!
 
 
Short version of the recipe:
 
4 c flour
1/2 c + 1/4 c baby oil
1 tsp glitter, optional
 
Mix flour and 1/2 cup baby oil together. Slowly add remaining baby oil until you reach the desired texture. Add glitter, if desired.
 
Enjoy, and let us know how you like it!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment