Thursday, August 14, 2014

5 DIY Decorations with Buttons + Bonus Project and Bragging









Button, button, who's got the button? Get them out of that old cookie tin and decorate!

I love buttons! Button décor is so cute and quaint and it seems like everybody's got a stash of buttons somewhere. I've gathered some of my favorite button DIY decorations and at the end of this post I show off the one I made for my daughter's room! Click on the pics to go to the original site for more information on each project.

If you've got a great button project share the pic or link to the project in the comments or on our facebook page. I wanna see!
 
1. Button Monogram 
http://www.twotwentyone.net/2012/03/pinterest-challenge-button-monogram/
C for cute! Ok, maybe I hang out with a preschooler too much. But there's no denying that this is adorable.
 
2. Button Animals on Canvas
http://www.blog.acherryontopphotography.com/?p=5514
Not much of a tutorial, but these don't take much. Adorable for a kids room. Besides the buttons, I love the rickrack!
 
3. Button Lampshades
http://justimagine-ddoc.com/crafts/button-fun-crafting-ideas-using-buttons/gallery/image/button-lamps/
I have looked and looked for a tutorial on these and I can't find it. If you know where that is, please comment and let me know!
 
4. Button Heart in a Frame
http://thriftychicliving.com/?p=968
This one is really intended for Valentine's day, but I think it could work anytime. You could also use the same technique to make any shape, if hearts aren't your thing.
 
5. Button Tree
I think this one requires more artistic talent than I have but it is so pretty! Also would be great as a fall activity for kids to do and it looks like a great stash-buster for those mismatched buttons.


BONUS PROJECT
 
I've posted this project already on my other blog, but I think it fits well here. And doggone it I like the thing and I feel like sharing it again.
 

I basically followed the fabulous tutorial by Busted Button.

I made a few very minor changes. I did not use her elephant outline; I did my own. I also put it on fabric in an embroidery hoop instead of on a frame. I like hoops. I thought about sewing the buttons on instead of gluing them, but then I wouldn't have been able to make more than one layer, which makes it more dense so less fabric shows through the buttons on the elephant. Plus the layering is super cute.

Overall, I like it. I wish I had made the yarn for the flowers (balloons?) a little straighter. I was trying to make it not quite straight and I ended up going too far the other way. But once it's glued, it's glued, so I say it looks great.

It was also really quick. I did it all in one evening after my daughter went to bed. (Hot glue + 18-month-old = trouble)

This is now hanging in Fia's room and it goes great with her paisley elephant curtains.
 
I've got 2 more embroidery hoops.....Oh, the possibilities!

See more projects like these by following us on Pinterest. Don't forget, I want to see your projects too! Share 'em if you got 'em!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment